Monday, June 15, 2009

Memories and ramblings on of the Ranch in Saratoga

John mentioned a few of his memories of our home in Saratoga. Some things that definitely stick out in my mind is sitting in the old tire swing under the balcony with a washcloth on my head waiting for Dad to get home from work so he could take me to Kaiser for stitches in my forehead. I was preparing to dive in to the pool when Mat decided to give me a little assistance by pushing me in. Somehow I managed to hit my head on the ladder and split it open enough to require 5 or 6 stitches to put me back together again.
Speaking of the pool who remembers Andy standing on the picnic table trying to get a better look at the fish we planted in the pool the year the pump quit working. Anyways he got a nice scar from his belly button to his rib cage, I do believe, from falling over the chain link fence.
It seems like we had a rough childhood 'cause I also remember John or Ed getting some scrs on their heads from rocks being dropped on their heads from high above the fence.
Speaking of the fence, just how many times did we have to cut back the ivy and replace broken fence slats and rotten fence posts?

Even to this day the smell of welding burning steel and welding rod reminds me of Dad welding on the saw mill in the back yard. I remember when "they" came to get the mill and loading it up on trucks and trailers to haul it up to the camp to set it up. I can still remember, years later, going on a hike at Camp Lehi with the scouts and seeing the saw mill my Dad built in our backyard.

1 comment:

  1. As the big brother it was my job to keep an eye on my little brothers and make sure they didn't get hurt. I failed. I believe I became a Safety Inspector to make up for years of stitches, broken bones and bruised bodies in our youth.

    ReplyDelete